*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

carb problems lpg petrol

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Postby Joy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:41 pm

so, like i said, u need to change the whole driveline from engine to gearbox to diff to get a conversion that is abslutely satisfying to drive the Van in every way:)
*No rust for The Wicked*
Joy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Granadadriver » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Joy wrote:so, like i said, u need to change the whole driveline from engine to gearbox to diff to get a conversion that is abslutely satisfying to drive the Van in every way:)

Yep, I'll agree! :D What's about the availability of Ford scrapyard parts in the Netherlands? So the parts you need might be less expensive!
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Joy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:48 pm

well, i believe the market isnt that big

i follow this once a week , not very much advertisers who want to sell parts, cause its getting less and less, and also more expensive

ppl think: what i have in the garden, that stays in the garden, cause in future they know they have to pay more then they can sell for now

thats why i like to trade parts i have with other parts from another person

that way u keep bot sides satisfied, no one likes top pay too much for parts

:)
*No rust for The Wicked*
Joy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Granadadriver » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:58 pm

I'll agree!

But just remembering a scrapyard in Venlo! The guy had lots of old Fords there, think it's 2 or 3 years ago, I've been there, and it was really a large yard, so surely this is still a good place to search! I bought a rather rare RS steering wheel for a Granada there! If I remember right, the scrapyard owner's name was Heinen or something like that!
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Joy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:39 pm

mm, not familiar that guy

but if i ask around, sure will find him:)

so far i first need a good diesel car, i found an old opel rekord diesel

planned vacation to sweden again, refuse to pay hat much for petrol (yes i'm still dutch:)

then we may find a tranny :)

(too much plans, too much work, the opel admiral is still in garage , needs some work)

:D
*No rust for The Wicked*
Joy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Granadadriver » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 pm

A diesel car? :shock: LPG is much cheaper than diesel, so I can't understand why you'd go for a diesel! Or is diesel in the Netherlands so much cheaper than in Germany? I didn't cross the border since more than one year, so I don't know! :?

Think I found out the scrapyard address and phone number:

http://www.zoekned.nl/Bedrijven/Automob ... ors/Venlo/

Must be this guy! :)
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Joy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:56 pm

well, the problem i have with lpg is that its a bit more difficult to get lpg in other countries then holland

belgium is ok, germany too, but still, i have to plan a route to drive from lpg station to lpg station, cause u cant get it at just any gasstation

(france for example, difficult) also diffent types of nipples etc

the otherproblem is that not many cars with an lpg installation drive on petrol too

something with octaan differences

a diesel, is more relyable, can get it in any gasstation, on diesel its cheaper to drive cause most of them do 1 liter to 17 to 22 km, even when diesel coast me about 90 eurcent a liter, and lpg 50 cent a liter

on lpg i never drive 20 miles on one liter:)

and, in sweden, where i am planning to go, in the whole country there are 4 lpg stations, problem

but, the opel dieselengines are very bad, many probs withe the head of teh engine, and very few spare egine parts, so no opel diesel, looking further:)

different options, i finish my admiral as soon as possible (the centerline rims go to the admiral, not on the commodore, but the rims were so wide, it couldnt fit in any way without touching the fender, so i had to change them a bit :) and then let it drive on petrol too, voila, problems solved ,on to sweden!

thx for the link :D
*No rust for The Wicked*
Joy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Granadadriver » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks for info! :D I didn't know there are only 4 LPG stations in Sweden! :o Also didn't know that most dutch LPG converted cars are monovalent, in Germany most are bivalent! I agree most old carb engines which use venturi installations consume up to 20% more fuel (on gas)! In Germany diesel prices are around 1,10 euro per litre and LPG is around 50 cents, so it's different to Holland!
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Joy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:15 pm

well, i think the major problem with used lpg cars is:

the owners :)

no one likes to tank petrol, when they can get lpg much much cheaper

result is that the engine doesnt get any petrol for months, even years,tank gets dry, filth goes in the petrol pipes etcetc, the whole system isnt working anymore, from that point they just ignore the petrol system and drive on lpg, the sollution is much much work and no one likes to solve it

it happens all time with especially the oldtimer cars (like mine , yes i am that stupid too:)
*No rust for The Wicked*
Joy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Granadadriver » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:25 pm

Yep, sad but true! Had the problem with a 2.0 Capri, I was interested in buying it, the petrol fuel pipe was completely bunged up, due to LPG use everytime! Didn't bought the car then!
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Joy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:27 pm

well, it wouldt stop me from not buying a car as major reason

but its a hell of a job to get the whole petrol system working proparly)

(well, u have a hobby or not :)
*No rust for The Wicked*
Joy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Granadadriver » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:32 pm

OK, the bodywork and chassis weren't good too! :lol: I thought if the running gear was properly, it might be worth to think about buying! But it wasn't, too expensive for that, too!
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Joy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:35 pm

damn fords, always rusty

jk, opel too:)

well, to feel love for the old fashion cars just means u always have to spend al lot of time and money, always more then u were planning too

afterwards, when it finally drives right and nice, u are the most happy person in the world :)
*No rust for The Wicked*
Joy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Granadadriver » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:45 pm

You say just what I was thinking! :D
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2