*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gaz's Mk3 truck

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Gaz's Mk3 truck

Postby Mr RVM » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Well the steering box overhaul went well :) its all back together ready to fit after a full stipdown clean and check, got rid of all the old grease and stuffed it full of fresh :)

got the underside of the floor/footwell/gearbox tunnel into first coat of paint (2nd and 3rd coat tommorow) before i painted i closed up the gaps where floor panel meets chassis and inner wing with PU sealer (if ford did that in the first place we wouldnt have so many transits with rusty floors) still no pics :( will have to buy a camera so i wont have to rely on someone else to take the photo's :?:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Well been up today and started to (FINALLY) put things back together :D :D :D still got a little bit of work here there and everywhere and still a few bits that bolt on to clean and paint but definately on the return journey now :D

Not rushing tho, still paying a lot of attention to detail (even spent nearly an hour cleaning the screen wash bottle inside and out :lol: ) didnt get the steering box as clean as i would have liked but still clean enough to give it a few coats of clear lacquer rather than paint it :!: got that fitted tonight and the battery tray, painted the rear leaf springs hopefully get them put back together and fitted soon

still no pics but hopefully next ones should really show some progress :D
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Couldn't find a new coolant reservoir anywhere so just spent 3 hours cleaning the original one :!: tried everything to descale the inside to get rid of the brown staining that showed through, mr muscle drain descaler, kettle descaler and washing machine cleaner/descaler each did a bit but not enough so ended up using a mixture of oxy action fabric whitener and bleach put a good bit of each in the tank then added some hot water and give it a good shake then it started to spew froth out of the hose connections and it just kept coming and coming for nearly an hour then rinsed it out and now its nice and clean and semi transparent again :D so now i'll be able to see the level when i refill the system istead of dippin my finger in the murky depths to make sure theres enough in :lol:

Think i'll fit a new heater matrix as i dont like the idea of putting all this back together then some time in the future finding out that the original one has developed a leak :shock: , I can get a brand new one for £13 so not worth taking the chance :!:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:44 pm

New matrix turned up today 32 hrs after ordering and payin for it :) brand new Valeo part £12.99 + £7.50 postage (securely packaged up)

Also got hold of a "new" radiator (Brand new fitted monday failed mot tuesday,stripped back out and on Ebay wednesday won by me following tuesday for £5 :!: Reeeeesult :)
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby BigMonty » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Restorationvanman wrote:New matrix turned up today 32 hrs after ordering and payin for it :) brand new Valeo part £12.99 + £7.50 postage (securely packaged up)

Also got hold of a "new" radiator (Brand new fitted monday failed mot tuesday,stripped back out and on Ebay wednesday won by me following tuesday for £5 :!: Reeeeesult :)

Bargains 8)
"You'll never beat a fool with logic or facts but you can demolish anyone with sincerly spoken nonsense"
BigMonty
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:29 pm

BigMonty wrote:
Restorationvanman wrote:New matrix turned up today 32 hrs after ordering and payin for it :) brand new Valeo part £12.99 + £7.50 postage (securely packaged up)

Bargains 8)

Every little helps Monty, Every little helps :D
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Not a great deal of work done yesterday as i started to sort the wiper assembly as in other post in tech section, turned out to be bigger job than i thought it would be but well worth it in the end as I wanted to keep it as original as possible and think the polished tubular aluminium arms look better than the later galvanised ones (using them would have been a much quicker fix) but its all done, painted and polished :roll: and back in now :D
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:21 am

Got a couple of pics that mate took the other day before I got there so here they are...

Looks a bit better with crossmember cover on :D

Lookin a lot better than it did :lol:

Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 6wheeler » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:31 am

Is that brush painted, looks great :D
6wheeler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mr RVM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Yeah painted by my own fair hand with an inch and a half soft pure bristle economy (screwfix no nonsense) brush :)

To be fair the photo's make it look better than it is but I'm quite happy with it :)
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 6wheeler » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Fair Do's, looks tidy, do you know what type of paint it is cos its got a good shine to it.
6wheeler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mr RVM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:28 pm

6wheeler wrote:Fair Do's, looks tidy, do you know what type of paint it is cos its got a good shine to it.

Yeah its "Hammerite" smooth Yellow and it shines like no other paint ive ever put on with a brush :) 3 coats (flatted with "scouring pad" after each coat before it gets too hard ie within 48 hrs)
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Well not much done over past few days :( just been having a "tidy up", was gettin a bit too cluttered around the work area :roll:

New camera turned up so once ive learned how to use it (should manage as its only got 2 buttons :lol: ) then i can take pics as and when i like, goin to start cab floor this week so will try to get some before/during/after shots, think its a better camera for close ups than the one used previously so pics might not be "fuzzy" like some earlier pics

Got an (almost) new exhaust this week. complete system incl front pipe for £25 delivered to my door :) New Genuine ford pedal rubbers £5 the pair (got a pair of "mickey mouse" one's for £3 a while back but they were a p*ss poor fit and too soft) new gen ford clutch cable and ratchet kit for £7 :) Still cant locate a proper Mk3 windscreen :(
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Well progress has been made :) (but not as much as i'd hoped for :( ) forgot about just how much small stuff there was to do :shock: but all welding is done now (thank god)so its really just dressing a few welds and finishing the paint on the back end and start to refit all the bits that came off.
Ive made a few changes to my original plan of keeping it as original as possible (just a few complimentary personalised touches) but they've cost me some time (as well as a badly burned finger and a sh*t time at work with nasty rota changes :( ) only have about 24 full days to get it ready for August and now working totally alone as "Helpmate" not available anymore due to new work commitments so bit of a struggle

After a bad time with computer/internet (hopefully all sorted now :) ) I finally have own camera and will upload pics later on when I work out how to get them in laptop then up to photo bucket (fairly easy I think/hope :roll: )

Hope everyone elses progress has been better than mine
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mr RVM » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Here's some of the pics ive taken in the last week or so :!:

doesn't it look pretty :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doorstep on passenger side needed work but not enough to warrant a complete replacement

so before....

cut this bit out and welded in new piece and finished with the old "cold solder" :lol:

and after....

The chassis/outrigger in the area around the rear of cab/fuel tank is all done now....

More later when I get in from work....
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!