*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gearbox sorted

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Gearbox problem

Postby Warloks38 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Firstly sorry guys for bringing this old question up but I really need my van back on the road and I'm getting a bit frustrated with it.right I had a problem getting reverse and sometimes selecting 2nd gear on my 04 FWD transit so I decided to adjust the cables I now get the gears but not when the van is driving it just grinds with no drive when you try to select 2nd or reverse .the selector pinch bolt was loose so I thought that was the problem but it's not cured it.if I try and select reverse and it just grinds I leave it in gear turn the engine off and I can manually push the selector arm into reverse it seems to be not quite engaged.I also didn't get any adjustment on the cables.the selector turret moves with ease without the cables connected.I'm really confused with this problem do I need new cables
Thanks guys
Warloks38
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Gearbox problem

Postby Mad Husky » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Cables can stretch and as you have checked the other bits not a lot left other than wear in the turret.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Gearbox problem

Postby Warloks38 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Don't have any wear on the turret bearings so I'm crossing my fingers its cables still can't get my head around that they can cause such a problem
Warloks38
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Gearbox sorted

Postby Warloks38 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Got the new cables for my fwd transit to resolve the 2nd and reverse gear problem only replaced the grey cable wasn't convinced it would work as the new one was exactly the same length as the old one.anyway set it to its full length put it on and it works perfect just can't work out why was the old one knackered.anyway all sorted so thanks to this site it's all better now
Cheers guys and girls
Warloks38
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions