*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine cuts out a few minutes after first starting

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Engine cuts out a few minutes after first starting

Postby Ticktock » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have a transit '64 plate, H2 L3 - think its a 2.1 litre engine? Anyway, I started it the other morning and 500 yds down the road at a junction it cut out. When it cut out a warning came up saying that I had 1 mile left in the fuel tank when in fact the tank was half full! It restarted okay and after running for less than a minute the fuel gauge rectified and showed the correct reading.
This morning, I started the van and it ran once again for a few hundred yards but again cut out at the junction. This time no fuel gauge warning issue to report. It started again and has since ran fine all day.
It seems to cut out a few minutes after its been started from cold.
Can anyone on here advise as to what may be going on?
Thank you in advance for any replies received.
Cheers.
Ticktock

Re: Engine cuts out a few minutes after first starting

Postby loot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:11 pm

I'm aware on that year van that the engine will cut out if the fuel is too low, it could also be a faulty fuel gauge. I don't know if a software update is available or the gauge needs replacing.

You could try on live data and see if the fault can be caught.
Also a fuel filter if old might want changing and drain the bowl. There is a water in fuel sensor though so it might just be too rule it out.
Have read that the air filter can get wet so a quick check of that too.

Above is a few suggestions but it could be anything really.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Frag » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Tank sender will cause the issue with distance to empty wrong and cutting out..
Seen them do that,then you bang fuel tank under sender and get correct reading with a restart.
Sender is on side of the leccy pump in tank,but it's a tank down job to replace.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby loot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:00 pm

Sorry yes I meant sender lol.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Ticktock » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks chaps for your replies. It’s very odd because it only did it occasionally. However I have since had the diesel filter swapped and also been advised to discontinue filling up with supermarket fuel! Also had a fuel cleaner added. Since all this has been done I’ve had no further issues and it’s now been over a week ago? Obviously I cannot be sure that the problem has been rectified.
I did get a quote for the sender unit from ford and from what I gather it has to be purchased with other components one of which (I think) is a fuel pump? Price for parts £350 . Then fitting charges on top ! Just hoping it’ll be okay now! Thanks again for the advice. Ps I’m also keeping the fuel level around half tank or above now which may lessen chance of Sender Unit going wrong (based on past fuel levels being constantly set around the 1/4 tank level which can affect gauges I believe?)
Cheers
Ticktock

Return to Technical Problems & Questions