*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK6 Rear Courtesy Lights (Removal/Disabling)

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK6 Rear Courtesy Lights (Removal/Disabling)

Postby James_G » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Hello all,

Currently in the process of converting our MK6 LWB Transit into a camper. After two weeks of stupidly not starting our van, going in and out of it, the battery went flat and was unable to start.

Stupidity aside, I think this was due to the drain from the rear courtesy lights on the roof of the van. When we bought the van the front light had been disconnected and electrical tape was put round the live wire. Is that still drawing power when the doors are opened? The rear most light however is still there and comes on as it should when the doors are opened and stays on for 30mins if they remain open. There is no switch in the cab for these lights, just the switch for the reading lights.

I'd like to remove the light units and at least disable the circuitry so they are not drawing any power. I am a complete novice to electrics and would appreciate some advice on the best way to do this. It seems after having traced the wires back they join into a larger lume of cables. I do not want to completely remove the system more so just remove the lights themselves and stop them from drawing power when the doors are opened.

Is it just a simple case of copying what a previous owner has done, unplugging the light and insulating the end of the wires? I am concerned even though the light isnt there power will still be drained from the battery from the live wire.
Could I remove the live wire from the switch at the door? In effect not activating the circuit even if the doors are open?
Could I join the positive and negative wires together to create a complete loop in the circuit without the light there?

Welcome your thoughts,

James
James_G

Re: MK6 Rear Courtesy Lights (Removal/Disabling)

Postby Mad Husky » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:30 pm

On my Mk6 there are two lights in the cab, the rear one controls the lights in the cargo area but I have heard sometimes there are only one. Mine were just taped up and stuffed in the roof supports I just reinstalled led down lighters as I need light to see what the dogs are doing at night my van is crated out for huskies. By the way mine had faults and i was unable to get access to the switch i could feel it but couldn't remove the connector no power should be drawn if no lights fitted.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wurzel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm

All I did on my Mk 7 was remove the bulb, been fine ever since
Not a good idea to connect the pos and neg wires, sparks will fly and you will blow a fuse
wurzel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Backbone of Britain » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Disconnect the multi plugs that run along the internal rear gutter along the drivers side where the side panels meet the roof panels.
2006 Mk6 115 T350 LWB Highroof
2008 Mk7 115 T350 LX LWB Highroof
Backbone of Britain
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby James_G » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Mad Husky wrote:On my Mk6 there are two lights in the cab, the rear one controls the lights in the cargo area but I have heard sometimes there are only one. Mine were just taped up and stuffed in the roof supports I just reinstalled led down lighters as I need light to see what the dogs are doing at night my van is crated out for huskies. By the way mine had faults and i was unable to get access to the switch i could feel it but couldn't remove the connector no power should be drawn if no lights fitted.

There are two lights in the cab however the rear light has no switch on it, only the front light nearest the windscreen. The switch has three positions which seem to control just those two cab lights. On Constantly / On when the doors are open / Off
James_G

Postby James_G » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm

wurzel wrote:All I did on my Mk 7 was remove the bulb, been fine ever since
Not a good idea to connect the pos and neg wires, sparks will fly and you will blow a fuse

Is removing the bulbs just the same as removing the light fixture from the wires?

Sparks will fly... Noted!

Thank you
James_G

Postby James_G » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Backbone of Britain wrote:Disconnect the multi plugs that run along the internal rear gutter along the drivers side where the side panels meet the roof panels.

Okay have done this thank you.

Just out of curiosity how is this any difference to unplugging the wire from the light fixture and leaving them there? Is unplugging the multi pins the same just further down the circuit? There are multi pin connectors all around the van without anything plugged in so have no concerns, just curious.
James_G

Postby Mad Husky » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:07 am

James_G wrote:
Mad Husky wrote:On my Mk6 there are two lights in the cab, the rear one controls the lights in the cargo area but I have heard sometimes there are only one. Mine were just taped up and stuffed in the roof supports I just reinstalled led down lighters as I need light to see what the dogs are doing at night my van is crated out for huskies. By the way mine had faults and i was unable to get access to the switch i could feel it but couldn't remove the connector no power should be drawn if no lights fitted.

There are two lights in the cab however the rear light has no switch on it, only the front light nearest the windscreen. The switch has three positions which seem to control just those two cab lights. On Constantly / On when the doors are open / Off

Mine does have a switch and it does control them on,off and switched.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions