*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit 2.2

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit 2.2

Postby Kyle101 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:34 am

Hi guys posted about a month ago about my transit sounding rough on cold start and white smoking, heres the update

Changed the two faulty injectors and once ive warmed the engine it sounds much quiter and smooth

Problem im still having is now is it still lets a tiny bit of white smoke out from cold and sounds abit rough is this because cause i havent had the injectors programmed yet or pilot learned?? As im abit worried

Also with the weather going abit cold i have to try 4 times to turn it over in a morning till it fires but i dont have working glow plugs, checked oil cap no chuffing so im presuming ive fit injectors properly (did this with old injectors anyway)

Just after some advice before i spend any more money, thanks kyle
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit 2.2

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:36 am

If injectors have been replace they must be coded in...they each have a 16 digit calibration code which is written on the plastic electrical connector.
After injectors have been coded in, the pump, pilot and injector learns must be done or she'll never run properly. The learns basically calibrate everything together so they run at their best.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Okay mate thanks a lot

today I was unable to start the van and the temperature was 4 degrees where I am, as soon as I put jump leads on it the thing started after about 3 seconds and ive had a new battery in it are these engines common for that when it gets cold out? or could it be a possible starter motor fault?

was completely fine in summer

thanks kyle.
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Kyle101 wrote:Okay mate thanks a lot

today I was unable to start the van and the temperature was 4 degrees where I am, as soon as I put jump leads on it the thing started after about 3 seconds and ive had a new battery in it are these engines common for that when it gets cold out? or could it be a possible starter motor fault?

was completely fine in summer thanks kyle.

What engine oil is in it..??

Also, if the learns haven't been done she'll struggle to start and run poorly most times.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Cheers and its got 5w 30 in it mate today,, at same temperature it fired up without jump leads but took about 10 seconds start

Is that the right oil for these? and might see if i can get the glow plugs done too see if that makes it start faster in mornings
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Kyle101 wrote:Cheers and its got 5w 30 in it mate today,, at same temperature it fired up without jump leads but took about 10 seconds start

Is that the right oil for these? and might see if i can get the glow plugs done too see if that makes it start faster in mornings

5w30 is the correct oil. A code read will tell you if the glow plugs are working or not....plus itmwould throw up a light.

You still haven't mentioned if the learns have been done..?? If not you're wasting your time.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Yes ive been told before that there was a code on the computer that said heater relay fault at first I thought that was my heater as it only works on 4 but apparantly not and it still sounds like it runs on 3 cylinders till it gets warm which could be glow plug related

But this could also be due to the learns like you say i will book it in tomorrow

Thanks
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 am

Kyle101 wrote:Yes ive been told before that there was a code on the computer that said heater relay fault at first I thought that was my heater as it only works on 4 but apparantly not and it still sounds like it runs on 3 cylinders till it gets warm which could be glow plug related

But this could also be due to the learns like you say i will book it in tomorrow

Thanks

Heater blower fan won't usually throw a code or light. If it only works on "full", the fan resistor may have died, quite common.

Some diesels don't really need glow pugs to run, especially the earlier TDDi's.....it's normally the higher ps ones which can struggle to start without good glow plugs.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes its been fine the Last two mornings and ive got it booked in for learns on monday only problem now is the small bit of blue smoke from cold start cant out my finger on it but it doesnt do it while im driving just from cold...
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mad Husky » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm

I would also replace the relay for the glow plugs my own tddi needed it's glow plugs, it was a pig without them the relay cost the shocking price of 2.50 at the scrappy but by heck it made a difference this morning starting first flick of the key. ok mine is a 2.4 not 2.2 and is tddi not tdci but got to be worth a go.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions