*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

AWD Transit

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

AWD Transit

Postby Chez-Ray » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:08 pm

My AWD has stopped working , Ford garage says can't use diagnostic to find fault because no connection to the AWD system -- I think maybe this IS the fault but finding the connection problem may be expensive so could the system be rigged to work on the AWD switch and do away with the automatic bit ???? Wouldn't then need to have connection to sensors on the wheels.
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: AWD Transit

Postby Punto443 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Check fuses, battery condition etc first.
Any lights on the dash?

Is it just the awd system? Or is there no communication with any of the modules?
I think it may we’ll be a failing aux(front) battery
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Chez-Ray » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Both Batteries are new. the diagnostic worked for the engine ( Noticed a partially blocked injector ) but couldn't connect to the AWD and since then the ABS has stopped working as well and showing light on Dash. !
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Punto443 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 am

I thought the awd was just controlled via the bcm and abs modules?

Is there a seperate module?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Chez-Ray » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:29 am

I don't know ! I can only guess that the sensors for the rear wheels are used for ABS and for the automatic part of the awd. It's probably all controlled by the BCM !!
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:18 am

Afaik there are 2 relays that switch the awd to lock on which is controlled by the abs and bcm and pcm but I don't think there is a module like on auto boxes. Not 100% but fairly sure.

It only works when abs is triggered and most likely turns off when the wheels all reach a similar speed denoting recovery of vehicle traction.

You might need to look at abs or other system faults to diagnose rather than lining for awd direct fault.

You can check the relays etc and see if they are OK.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Chez-Ray » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:23 pm

OK thanks for response - now had it to another Ford Garage ( In France ) They say new ABS Module @ 1900 Euros !!! )-: Total nearer 3000 but I'm not convinced that will fix the problem . I'm either going to just lie down and Cry or go to the Garage and practice my French swearing !!!
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Are you likely to return to the UK at some point? I replaced my abs pump for I think 40gbp myself or something like that.

Can you do without the awd until it is fixed?

I wouldn't spend 2k on any mk7 transit in afraid, it'll be a simple problem but as yet nobody clever enough to fix it :(
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Chez-Ray » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks , I do need the awd that's why I bought it - I spend winter in a ski resort and need it to get around. Looks like I'm getting nearer to some kind of plan -- I can get the ABS module repaired / reconditioned for about 270 Euros , or get a second hand one ( supposedly checked ) for under 300 . So if I do either of these will it have to go back to the garage to be Re programmed ??
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:19 am

Chez-Ray wrote:Thanks , I do need the awd that's why I bought it - I spend winter in a ski resort and need it to get around. Looks like I'm getting nearer to some kind of plan -- I can get the ABS module repaired / reconditioned for about 270 Euros , or get a second hand one ( supposedly checked ) for under 300 . So if I do either of these will it have to go back to the garage to be Re programmed ??

Before removing the module remove and check the abs fuses for pitting :idea: Had this lately with a vw abs :twisted:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wurzel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 pm

You could try ringing M J Allen who designed the AWD system for the Transit (They also built the old County Transit system)
I have spoken to them before when I was after advice for my Mk7 AWD and they were a little reluctant saying I should speak to my local Ford dealer, expect thats some kind of deal they have agreed with Ford. However if you explain that you are not in the UK you may be able to appeal to their better nature.
Their number is 01233 622214 and last contact name I had was Eric May
They do have a web site if you search for them
Good luck and with my limited knowledge it does all point to the ABS side of things
wurzel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:53 pm

If the abs module is faulty then it should have some fault codes somewhere, if it is only a soft fault then live data needs looking at.

Broken wires etc will have a resistance fault code, 4 wheel sensor or steering angle sensor or longitudinal sensor issues will bring the abs or esp light on I'm sure.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Chez-Ray » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:18 pm

hanks guys , I'll try calling MJ Allen, got it back from the ford dealer yesterday , cost nearly 400 Euros just to be told it's the ABS not working BUT when I suggested this to the company in Germany that repairs them he wasn't convinced - The error code they gave me was for a short on the rear right wheel !! the garage said they had checked the wheel sensors and all were working ( But said the wiring was not good and I should replace it or it would eventually fail ) and so it was the ABS sensor that was broken !!.
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chez-Ray » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:02 pm

That meant to read ''Said'' it was the ABS . Interesting I spoke with MJ Allen - obviously they couldn't comment !! Did find out that the early AWD had an electric pump activated by the system and so I should if it has one be able to just put a switch on it and use it without the automatic sensor bollocks -- just have to be careful not to drive it on dry roads because of wind up but as I would only use it on snow I doubt it would be a problem . hanks again for suggestions etc just waiting for the new rear right sensor to arrive then will see , fingers crossed.
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chez-Ray » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Just an UPdate I managed to contact the original ''owners '' in Ireland , spoke to a mechanic who involved in maintaining the fleet . f*** great guy . Told me only problems they had was with either broken electric cables under the vehicle ( Caught on brambles etc ) OR had to replace solenoids on 4x4 gearbox . Explained the solenoids turn the 4x4 on !! OK so I connected the solenoids to the battery with an on/ off switch on the dashboard and now I have 4x4 on demand - problem solved for the price if 5m or wire , a switch and two phone calls to Ireland .
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions