*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

sump

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

sump

Postby schott999 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

hi lads, went to get in my van today and noticed a small puddle of oil under engine on garage floor, managed to get under and i could tell it was leaking from edge of sump, to take my van to a garage is this likely to be a heart thumper price wise and also is this as serious as it sounds, cheers lads
schott999
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: sump

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

could be any number of things , as oil will tend to run around the lip of the sump if from higher up and drip off this edge.

it could be the actual sump,...about 1 - 2 hours work a crankshaft oil seal which is a lot more work, could be dripping from the intercooler tubes which is common ....or simply oil spilled as you topped up engine oil .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 pm

Get can of brake clean and clean all the oil away, oil gets everywhere from a leak when your driving, clean and dry it off and try and trace it before garage gets it,
Some jobs are easier than others and depends on what van it actually is

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:36 pm

metalworker0 wrote:could be any number of things , as oil will tend to run around the lip of the sump if from higher up and drip off this edge.

it could be the actual sump,...about 1 - 2 hours work a crankshaft oil seal which is a lot more work, could be dripping from the intercooler tubes which is common ....or simply oil spilled as you topped up engine oil .

all the best.mark

How do you know what van it is :? :? :?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:54 pm

The info i've given is sort of generic for all diesel cars and vans ..
i see what you mean though. :D
i should ask him a general question about the van to make sure he comes back ..as he hasn't been back, so i wasted time answering. :x

so from now on, i will stop wasting time ..as i'm getting little tired of people coming here asking question ..and not coming back or checking .

so one line answer to get them coming back .,.if they don't ..they don't get the answer

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions