*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Piston Control Jets in Puma Engine

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Piston Control Jets in Puma Engine

Postby ColourRestorer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

I’ll post the question here, as it relates to the Puma 2.2 engine as fitted to the late Mk7 and early Mk8 Transits:

I’m about the start the process of rebuilding my engine after piston failure.

I’ve acquired a Mk8 factory workshop manual which covers the rebuild process in great depth, but fails at the first hurdle.

It shows the rebuild process commencing with fitting the crankshaft, but omits to mention that first it is necessary to fit the piston control jets (the nozzles which squirt oil at the underside of the pistons).

Each jet is retained by a small set screw with an external (male) torx head.

Given the criticality of the application, and the consequence of failure, I should like to know what Ford specify as the correct thread sealant, and the tightening torque.

Does anyone please have a Ford document which contains this information?

Many thanks in advance...
2013 'Jumbo' Transit 155T350 EF in Blazer Blue
ColourRestorer
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Piston Control Jets in Puma Engine

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

We had a bit of a discussion here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=221433&p=1790300&hilit=oil+jets#p1790300

Note: from the picture (lower down) how complex they are inside ...the picture is of a typical one ..not ford ..as i could not find a cross section picture of an actual ford one. yes i did look for "ALL INFO" at the time and like you it returned zero from ford.

I would be taking them out and flushing them with wd40 or the likes ...and put loctite blue on the retaining bolt threads

You could also put a bit of hylomar on the outside of the nozzle where it pushes in to the hole ...but not in the hole ..on the bit that goes into the hole so excess only gets pushed out and not into the galleries or jet.

As you can see on that post ..the guy did not even come back to confirm what had gone wrong, which is a bugbear here ..you only learn by the outcomes of things...and people coming back to report on things is a big help....i remember waiting ..and nothing!

The fact that one of these supposedly became un-screwed ..means they need loctite

if you really want to do things properly ..it would mean also taking the blanking plugs out of the main gallery and flushing. there could be a build up of sludge in there that can only be got rid of with the likes of paint stripper, (or poundland OVENPRIDE etc. you'll need a syringe
Crank oil galleries are also prone to sludge ..so these need flushing too.

All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ColourRestorer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

Many thanks for that comprehensive reply Mark.

In absence of any recommendation from Ford documentation I had concluded that Loctite 243 is probably the thing to use.

The block is aware being rebored at the moment, so it will need a thorough flush through once it's finished.

Years ago I had access to an enormous trichloroethane bath which had the capacity to dunk a forktruck chassis, so adding a block was an easy sideline.

Sadly, these days I have to satisfy myself with a compressed air line driven blasting tub full of brake cleaner.
2013 'Jumbo' Transit 155T350 EF in Blazer Blue
ColourRestorer
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby andz327 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 pm

ASK THE ENGINEER THAT'S DOING YOUR REBORE WHAT THEY USE
PERSONALLY I USE THIS

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist