*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Which should I buy?

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Which should I buy?

Postby sub-zero » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi There,

I am about to buy a Transit in the near future, it most likely gonna be a Mk6 or a Mk7, probably with more than 200.000 kms, because those are the ones I can afford right now. I talked to my friend, who is an owner himself, he advised me to buy one with front wheel drive and not more then 101 horses from the earlier models between 2000 and 2004, because those are cheaper to repair.

I would like to hear more opinions and advises. I heard for instance a lot of negative things about Delphi parts, saying those fuel pumps and injectors don't last very long.
Is there a simple way to identify the right engines? Is there a code, or can I identify it for example looking at the VIN-Number?
I mean of course I will also test drive them, try them out, look, hear and feel if they are alright, but maybe there are signs I should be more aware of.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
sub-zero
sub-zero

Re: Which should I buy?

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 am

bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby stevo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:49 pm

sub-zero wrote:Hi There,

I am about to buy a Transit in the near future, it most likely gonna be a Mk6 or a Mk7, probably with more than 200.000 kms, because those are the ones I can afford right now. I talked to my friend, who is an owner himself, he advised me to buy one with front wheel drive and not more then 101 horses from the earlier models between 2000 and 2004, because those are cheaper to repair.

I would like to hear more opinions and advises. I heard for instance a lot of negative things about Delphi parts, saying those fuel pumps and injectors don't last very long.
Is there a simple way to identify the right engines? Is there a code, or can I identify it for example looking at the VIN-Number?
I mean of course I will also test drive them, try them out, look, hear and feel if they are alright, but maybe there are signs I should be more aware of.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
sub-zero

Mk6 75 or 100 is your best bet for reliability, the 75 doesn't have the dual mass fly wheel which can be costly. I have a 75 and while they won't win any races, they are good on fuel and a lot of the ones I've seen on eBay seem to reach a high mileage. Check out the ex rac vans, if you can live with the colour you could find a very tidy van for a good price. Look out for rust too, look everywhere.
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 pm

ibanez2005 wrote:
sub-zero wrote:Hi There,

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
sub-zero

Mk6 75 or 100 is your best bet for reliability, the 75 doesn't have the dual mass fly wheel which can be costly. I have a 75 and while they won't win any races, they are good on fuel and a lot of the ones I've seen on eBay seem to reach a high mileage. Check out the ex rac vans, if you can live with the colour you could find a very tidy van for a good price. Look out for rust too, look everywhere.

The 85 ps replaced the 75, and is a better bet ;)
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby sub-zero » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for the replies so far.

I was thinking about the 85 or 86 HP ones too, but I would like to pull a trailer with a lot of heavy stuff on it, too. Is it strong enough to pull a lot?

Are the 85 HP built with a dual mass flywheel, or is at just the normal one?

Thank you.
sub-zero

Postby ake » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:46 pm

sub-zero wrote:Thanks for the replies so far.

I was thinking about the 85 or 86 HP ones too, but I would like to pull a trailer with a lot of heavy stuff on it, too. Is it strong enough to pull a lot?

Are the 85 HP built with a dual mass flywheel, or is at just the normal one?

Thank you.

85 ps should be solid flywheel
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Buyers Guide