*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Transit History/Archive?

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Ford Transit History/Archive?

Postby prototype3 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Doing a bit of digging into the research and development of the tranny van, particularly looking at the mk3/mk4/mk5 as I think it's the most iconic.

I've seen a post on here where someone uploaded a "concept brochure" from the 80's, but apart from that I'm struggling to find any info/images from the design stages of the mk3/mk4/mk5 vans.

There's a ford transit documentary on youtube (part of the "Perpetual Motion" BBC series - see attached link), which focuses mainly on the development of the mk1 transit.

Within this documentary they show a clip (around the 6 minute mark) where a group of men inspect a wooden mock up of the mk1 cab, and it's this design process that I'm particularly interested in.

So does anyone know if there's an archive of drawings/images/film which shows similar "mock up"/prototype stages of the mk3/4/5 vans? When they modeled full scale replicas in clay/wood?

Where would be a good place to start do you reckon? The Ford Dunton Technical Centre perhaps? Or maybe a museum archive?

Cheers

the doc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hd3BZbvYrA
2013 Ford Transit 2.2 125 300 Euro5
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Ford Transit History/Archive?

Postby oldyellar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:00 pm

prototype3 wrote:Doing a bit of digging into the research and development of the tranny van, particularly looking at the mk3/mk4/mk5 as I think it's the most iconic.

I've seen a post on here where someone uploaded a "concept brochure" from the 80's, but apart from that I'm struggling to find any info/images from the design stages of the mk3/mk4/mk5 vans.

There's a ford transit documentary on youtube (part of the "Perpetual Motion" BBC series - see attached link), which focuses mainly on the development of the mk1 transit.

Within this documentary they show a clip (around the 6 minute mark) where a group of men inspect a wooden mock up of the mk1 cab, and it's this design process that I'm particularly interested in.

So does anyone know if there's an archive of drawings/images/film which shows similar "mock up"/prototype stages of the mk3/4/5 vans? When they modeled full scale replicas in clay/wood?

Where would be a good place to start do you reckon? The Ford Dunton Technical Centre perhaps? Or maybe a museum archive?

Cheers

the doc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hd3BZbvYrA

Thanks for the link brilliant veiwing
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Peter Lee of the Transit Van Club ;)
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby prototype3 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:47 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Peter Lee of the Transit Van Club ;)

Where can I find him? :D
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Transit van club - google the website
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby prototype3 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:59 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Transit van club - google the website

Great thanks
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Talk